Local educational agencies must include a number of components in each individualized education program for each disabled child in its district. Among these components are the following:
- Descriptions of each child’s current educational status, which describes the disabled child’s cognitive skills, linguistic ability, emotional behavior, social skills and behavior, and physical ability
- Details of “measurable annual goals, including benchmarks or short-term objectives” related to the specific needs of each child, according to the provisions in IDEA
- Description of the instructional setting or placement of each disabled child
- Details of developmental, corrective, and other services designed to facilitate placement in a regular class or designed to allow disabled children to benefit from special education
- Additional specific statements required by IDEA, which relate to each child’s progress, needs, advancement, and goal.